What is a brokerage?

Support Service Brokerages are private organizations providing case management, in-home and community-based services to adults that experience Intellectual and/or Developmental Disabilities (I/DD). Brokerages have been serving Oregon since 2001 and presently support nearly 8000 people with I/DD with living independently in the community. All brokerages are governed by boards/advisory groups comprised primarily of people with I/DD and their families.  More information regarding the function and purpose of the brokerages can be found below.

Brokerages support adults that experience intellectual and/or developmental disabilities to choose, arrange, and monitor the supports they need to live on their own or in their family homes within the community. Brokerages help inform individuals, and their families, about their rights and options as adults, which allows individuals to make better decisions about how they live their lives and take responsibility for their choices. Brokerages were founded on the principles of self-determination: What would you like on your plan? What services do you need? What services do you prefer? Who would you like to provide those services? Where would you like your services We offer self-directed, person-centered services. Brokerages serve about 8,000 people statewide. No matter where you live in Oregon, there is a Support Services Brokerage available to serve you. In some areas, there are as many as five choices.

Where do the support funds come from?

Federal Funding of Brokerage Support Services

The support services offered at Creative Supports Inc. are provided under a federal Medicaid waiver as an alternative to placement in an institution or Intermediate Care Facility for Persons with Intellectual and/ or Developmental Disabilities. You can read more about it below.

Who do we serve?

Creative Supports Inc. (CSI) provides case management services to adults with intellectual and/or developmental disabilities who live in either Jackson or Josephine Counites in a variety living situations such as in their own home, friends, family, etc. We do not provide supports to adults living in group homes or foster homes.

How can I receive services with Creative Supports, Inc?

  • Once you are eligible for Adult in-home services, you have a choice of where your case management services come from. You can choose between Creative Supports Inc. and either Jackson County Developmental Disability (Jackson County) or Community Living Case Management (Josephine county).
  • All referrals to the brokerage come through a County Developmental Disability Program (CDDP). Creative Supports Inc.  receives referrals through either Jackson County Developmental Disabilities or Community Living Case Management.

  • If you are already a customer at a CDDP, you can request that  your Service Coordinator  transfer your case management services to Creative Supports Inc. You can request this at any time.
  • If you are not a currently working with a CDDP and want to apply for DD Services, contact the CDDP in your area. Upon determination of eligibility for DD services, you can request to transfer  to Creative Supports Inc. from the CDDP.
  • Creative Supports Inc. and the CDDP will coordinate a transfer date if capacity is available.
  • After a transfer date is established, Creative Supports Inc. will call you to schedule a Welcome meeting. At this meeting, you will meet your Personal Agent and learn more about Creative Supports Inc. and begin planning for the life you want!

What do Personal Agents do?

Personal Agents (PA’s) provide case management services using person-centered practices to assist people experiencing Intellectual and/or developmental disabilities with accessing needed medical, employment, social, educational, and other services. Case management service include but are not limited to assessment and periodic reassessment of individual needs and preferences, development and periodic revision of the Individual Support Plan, referral and related activities, monitoring, and follow-up activities. Personal Agents do not provide direct support, they will assist you with finding the supports you need to live the life you have chosen

What are the different types of service providers?

Key attributes for Service Providers available with Brokerage


Personal Support Worker

  1. Employed by the person receiving services, their guardian, or a designated employer
  2. PPL is responsible for payroll functions
  3. Paid hourly for all or a portion of a person’s attendant care needs
  4. Employer is responsible for recruitment, hiring, training, scheduling, and firing their PSW
  5. Proxy may assist with some employer functions
  6. PA is responsible for providing the information about the person receiving service’s needs and risks in the Service Agreement
  7. Flexible
  8. Person receiving services has a choice of hiring anyone who meets minimum requirements

Community Living Supports (nonstandard)

  1. No changes to this agency type in 2023
  2. Agency is paid hourly for all or a portion of a person’s attendant care needs
  3. Agency is responsible for all payroll functions
  4. SC/PA is responsible for providing the information about the person receiving service’s needs and risks in the Service Agreement or ISP
  5. A range of models exist from agencies that encourage persons receiving services to recruit, schedule, and train DSPs to agencies that manage a pool of trained DSPs.
  6. Agency will need to be interviewed about their specific practices and expectations of the Agency and service recipient

Standard Model Agency

  1. Agency is paid hourly for all or a portion of a person’s attendant care needs
  2. Agency is responsible for training, hiring, scheduling, and firing
  3. Agency has back up responsibilities when services are scheduled in advance
  4. PA is responsible for providing the information about the person receiving service’s needs and risks in the Service Agreement or ISP
  5. Agency develops implementation strategies and reports on progress for desired outcomes
  6. Agency develops protocols to mitigate known risks
  7. DSPs have increased training expectations

What services are available?

You have the right to choose your services, where those services are provided, and who provides those services, subject to determination of need and continued eligibility for services.

Most Used Supports

  • Informal Supports - Informal supports are unpaid supports provided by people in your life.
  • Paid Supports - Paid supports can be provided by a Personal Support Worker or Provider Organization
  • Attendant Care - One on one support with your Activities of Daily Living (ADL/IADL) in your home or community, provided by either a Personal Support Worker (PSW) or Provider Agency.
  • Day Support Activities - Attendant care supports in the community that happen during scheduled, intentional, structured activities often in a group with strong focus on support with community participation and communication.
  • Community Transportation - Services that allow individuals to gain access to community services, activities, resources, and goods, in the area surrounding their home, that are not medical in nature. This may include local transit, taxi services, mileage reimbursement for PSW’s and provider organizations.
  • Relief Care - Relief Care is short-term care and supervision provided because of the absence, or need for relief, of persons normally providing the care to individuals unable to care for their selves.
  • Job coaching - This includes initial, ongoing and maintenance job coaching to maintain and advance in a competitive, integrated employment or maintain self-employment
  • Small Group Supported Employment - This includes services and training activities in regular business, industry, and community settings for groups of two (2) to eight (8) individuals. This service must be provided in a manner that promotes integration into the workplace and interaction with people without disabilities in those workplaces.
  • Discovery - A time limited, person centered opportunity for a person to explore and discover employment interest and abilities.
  • Employment Path Services - Time limited service that allows you gain valuable work experience and work skills with the purpose of gaining integrated and competitive employment.
  • Environmental & Home Modifications - Changes made for a person to function with greater independence around the home while ensuring the health, welfare, and safety of the person. Environmental safety modifications are available only for the primary residence of the person receiving services.
  • Vehicle Modifications - Vehicle Modifications are the adaptations or alterations that are made to a car or van that is the primary means of transportation for the person to accommodate the service needs of the individual and allow them to   integrate more fully into the community and to ensure the health, welfare and safety of the person receiving services
  • Assistive Devices/Technology - Assistive devices, technology or durable medical equipment used to assist and enhance independent in performing any ADL, IADL, health related tasks or to communicate in the home or community.
  • Behavior Supports - Access to a behavior professional who can provide assessment, behavior plan development, training, and ongoing maintenance
  • Nursing Services - Access to a nurse that focuses on teaching and supporting the person and their support providers to ensure their health needs are met.

For more information regarding available services please contact your Personal Agent.

What rights and responsibilities do I have?


  1. As an individual receiving our services, we must inform you, designated representative or guardian annually of your Notification of Rights.
  2. Receive a Notification of Planned Action (NOPA) any time a person  receiving DD funded services when a decision to deny, reduce, suspend or terminate services has been made.
  3. To file a  complaint when you are unhappy with something about your services, supports or programs, an assessment or other processes or the people who are providing these services. You may make a complaint to your service provider, Case Manager or other program representative/designee or ODDS. You may have someone help you make a complaint either orally or in writing.


  1. You have a responsibility to maintain communication with your Personal Agent at Creative Support, Inc. Your Personal Agent and you will decided how often contact will need to occur.
  2. You have a responsibility to Actively participate in the planning, implementation, and monitoring of your ISP or Annual Plan.
  3. You have a responsibility to ensure that you sign and return paperwork in a timely manner.


Where can I find more information?

Further information regarding the qualified Medicaid Supports can be found below.


How do I become a Personal Support Worker (PSW)?

If you want to become a provider supporting I/DD individuals who receive services from the brokerage, the first step is to read through the PSW Information Packet to ensure you understand the job duties and requirements. This is informational packet is also located at our Medford and Grants Pass Offices. Once you have read through this packet and feel that you meet the job requirements, you will print out and complete the PSW Application Packet and submit forms to the appropriate entities. You will need to have an approved Criminal History Check, be issued a SPD Provider ID number from ODDS, and be connected with the state's billing system, Public Partnerships, LLC. before working as a PSW.

Contact Us

930 West 8th Street
Medford, Oregon 97501
Phone Number 541-864-1673
Fax Number 541-864-1676

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.